Mautaam famine hit most parts of Churachandpur District and some parts of Tamenglong and Mizoram State since 2006. The famine worsened in 2008 with no signs of abating in the immediate future owing mainly to crop failure caused by rodents and extreme weather vagaries. The steps taken by the Government authorities so far, were starkly insufficient and inadequate to meet the daily needs of famine victims in the said areas.
2. The Zomis, Brethren and well wishers in Delhi and the National Capital Region (NCR) are deeply concerned over the plight of their people in the famine-hit areas. Relief offerings were collected by a few Churches for distribution within the confines of their own Church network. A few individual initiatives were also noticed collecting relief in cash/kind. In the absence of organized community/social based mass mobilization for the purpose, such relief collections were too meagre for the needs, and below expectations from the Capital City of Delhi and NCR.
3. The Delhi Front of “Committee on Mautaam Famine Aid” (COMFA) formed on September 6, 2008 in the emergency meeting of the Delhi Working Group of Zomi Economic Planning and Development Agency (ZEPADA), the Delhi Cell of Zomi Students Federation (ZSF) and the Delhi Chapter of Zomi Human Rights Foundation (ZHRF) is intended to deal the following issues :-
(1). Mass Mobilisation of Famine Relief Aid among the Zomis etc. in Delhi and the NCR.
(2). Mobilisation of Famine Relief Aid among individuals/agencies/ organizations in Delhi and the NCR.
(3). Mobilisation of Famine Relief Aid from hitherto unknown sources & places
(4). Channelisation of existing relief aids for effective delivery to the victims
(5). Identification and follow up of Government Schemes which may help-meet the relief needs of famine victims.
(4) The Delhi Front of COMFA will be linked with the COMFA, Lamka, Churachandpur District, Manipur in the distribution of relief aid.
The COMFA, Lamka was formed in 2008 to organize mass mobilization of relief aids in Manipur state and distribute them to the famine victims through “Joseph granaries” being opened in the entire Sub-division of Churachanpur district.(The Joint Appeal dated the 23rd August, 2008 by all the leaders of apex bodies of the entire District of Churacahndpur is attach).
(5) On the 10th September, 2008 office bearers of COMFA, Delhi Front were formed as below:
Chairman: Pu V.Naulak
Vice-Chairman : Dr Chinkholal Thangsing
Secretary : Pu G. Swan Za Lian
Joint Secretary: Pu T.Zamlunmang
Finance Secretary: Cdr Lalsuonglien Tonsing
Pu Philip Thanglienmang
Pu L.Thang Sian Mung
Pu Phungchinthang Guite
Pu Nehzamang Simte
Pu Kh Ginlal Chung
+Nominees of ZEPADA, Dehi Working Group, ZSF, Delhi Cell and ZHRF Delhi Chapter.
(6) The following guidelines have been adopted regarding mautaam famine related activity among the Zomis in Delhi and NCR:-
(i) Relief collection done or undertaken by any Church/Christian Fellowship in Delhi is beyond the purview of COMFA, Delhi Front.
(ii) COMFA, Delhi Front appreciates the existing mautaam famine aid collection system initiated transparently, for instance www.mautaam.org.
(iii) All recognized social bodies among the Zomi Community in Delhi and NCR are requested kindly to inform the COMFA, Delhi Front, if they were desirous to undertake the noble cause of mautaam famine related activity, in the interest of mutual co-operation.
(iv) COMFA, Delhi Front does not encourage individual collection of mautaam famine aid without accountability to any established social organization among the Zomi Community.
Issued in public interest by
COMFA, DELHI FRONT.